Even though the overall process for making bread takes long, the effort which goes into it is minimal. The better part of the time in the whole process is taken by the dough to rise on its own while you can go about doing whatever you please (I'm usually on facebook and twitter writing about what I'm about to make).
I say all this because people have been wondering how come I've been baking so often and the answer is that baking bread takes way less of my time than making chapathis. If only I'd realized this earlier than I did!
I was getting a little bored with the same old stuffed buns and pitas so I decided to make something slightly different this time around. I wasn't sure what I'd be making but I knew I wanted tomatoes and chutney inside that bread, kinda like a grilled sandwich. So I just went with the flow and came up with this...
Layered Flat Bread Thingy
For the bread, the basic bun dough recipe from here is fine.
For the Chutney:
(feel free to play with the quantities and also add/eliminate whatever you like since I just came up with this by putting in whatever was handy)
Grated Fresh Coconut
Blend everything together adding only a little bit of water to an easily spreadable pasty consistency with a bit of texture in it.
How to proceed:
* Slice a few tomatoes.
* Divide risen bread dough in half. Roll out one half to about 1 centimeter thickness.
* Slightly bend the edges upward.
* Spread a thick layer of chutney on this layer.
* Cover this layer with tomato slices completely.
* Roll the other half of the dough to about the same thickness and make it slightly smaller than the bottom dough layer.
* Place this second layer of dough over everything and fold the edges of the bottom layer over the top layer.
* Preheat oven to 230 C / 450 F and bake the bread for about 30 minutes.
* Slice and serve fresh out of the oven with ketchup or red chili sauce.
* Be very careful while eating since the tomatoes will be extremely HOT!
* Enjoy :)
Yum! And with chutney inside, it's gotta be good!ReplyDelete
we normally make grilled chutney sandwiches similar to this. mint chutney tastes even more awesome!ReplyDelete
You can't go wrong with chutneyReplyDelete