I started out with the idea of making the classic Rum and Raisin Ice Cream, but just when I had all the base ingredients blended and poured into the ice cream maker, I realised that we'd run out of rum! So I grabbed the bottle of brandy that was at hand and decided to make a Boozy Raisin Ice Cream instead.
Before I move on to the recipe, I'd like to share that the good folks at Vegan MoFo are running a giveaway of one of my creations. Click on the pic below to enter to win my Vegan Superstar Handmade Pendant. :)
The pendant above will be shipped worldwide. I have a more localised giveaway coming up next week right here on my blog. It may or may not involve vegan ice creams. :D Keep an eye out.
Now on to today's recipe...
Boozy Raisin Ice Cream
100 g Cashews
100 g Raisins soaked in 100 g Water
100 g Merry Whip Non-Dairy Cream
50 g Sugar
500 ml Cold Water
50 ml Brandy
- Place an airtight container in the freezer to chill
- Soak raisins in water for 2-4 hours in the fridge
- Grind the cashews to a fine powder
- Set aside a handful of the soaked raisins
- Add the remaining raisins, along with the soaking water and blend to a creamy paste
- Add the cold water and sugar and blend well
- Freeze in an ice cream maker according to instructions
- In the last few minutes of the freezing process, pour in the brandy
- Transfer the ice cream to the chilled container and stir in the raisins that had been set aside
- Place in the freezer for 1-2 hours
- Scoop and enjoy! *hic*